These contiguous parcels of land located off Blue Hill Avenue in the Roxbury district of Boston were a wasteland and dumping ground. After years of urban decay and abandonment, this development of 41 units, undertaken by a non-profit organization, commences to reclaim this old neighborhood.
New townhouses now line the edge of Blue Hill Avenue, creating an articulated urban wall. The side streets contain two-family and three-family detached buildings. All buildings have individual front entrances, front porches, rear decks, private parking spaces, and individual backyards.
A 1500 sq. ft. community building located on one of the inner streets serves for a wide variety of activities.
The scale of the buildings has been kept consistent with the neighborhood, and their architectural expression draws on the many details that make up the buildings of the area. Color is used in many different combinations to add liveliness and individuality to the ensemble, while the details, such as porches, columns and bright white trim provide continuity throughout this community.